No fun especially at night.
I have read 40% of us experience leg cramps.
Factors that contribute to muscle cramps:
- Chronic Inflammation
- Overuse and Past Injury
- Dehydration and Low Mineral Levels
- Sleep position
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Prevention – routine stretching daily, hydrate, stress reduction / meditate (the calf tightness is related to stress response and the sympathetic nervous system), mineral rich and the anti-inflammatory foods such as: banana, papaya, celery, watermelon, sweet potato, beans, salmon, avocado, coconut water and dark leafy greens.
If you take prescription medicine, please look at the side effects.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE A CRAMP:
- Take several calming breaths.
- Straighten your leg and pull foot up, hold for 30 secs.
- Massage the cramping area
- Drink water or electrolyte water/Gatorade
- Pinch upper lip and hold (acupressure point)
- MagneGel or other rub in products
I hope you found this helpful.